How are you doing? Take a moment to think before saying, “fine, thank you!” Now answer, how are you really doing? I sometimes answer that question out-loud in order to ‘own’ whatever I am going through so that I can start to feel better and move on.
Lately I have been using aromatherapy to help calm and focus my mind. It has also helped me deal with the craziness that sometimes dominate my timeline. I’m no expert on aromatherapy but here’s how I do it…
When I set up my Aura Cacia USB Essential Oil diffuser, I am forced to stop and focus. This usually means I settle my mind and redirect any nervous or anxious energy. Again, I’m not a pro at this, so I’ve asked Charlynn Avery, Aromatherapist and Aura Cacia Educator, to share some tips on using aromatherapy to help with focus, positivity and be productivity.
What fragrances/scents help to drive productivity, creativity, and focus? (Is it the same for everyone?)
Simply speaking, aromatherapy is the use of essential oils to enhance our health and well-being. Although we put a lot of emphasis on the word “aroma”, the true action of the essential oils go beyond our sense of smell. We can certainly inhale aromas for relaxation or energy, but we can also create our own skin care solutions, clean our homes and soothe sore muscles. We are limited only by our imaginations.
Essential oils are highly concentrated, volatile plant extracts. We obtain essential oils through a few different extraction methods and the part of the plant we get the essential oil from can be different depending on the oil. Rose oil, for example, comes from the petals of the rose while citrus oils come from the rind.
Here are a few suggestions for beginners:
- Power through your afternoon to your daily finish line with a boost of energy with help from putting a few drops of the essential oil, juniper berry essential oil in your desk diffuser. Juniper Oil gives off an incredibly enticing and refreshing aroma. It is sure to wake up your senses and keep you productive and happy!
- Neroli essential oil is a great oil to inspire artistic endeavors and encourage creative expression. The soft and sweet floral aroma of this citrus blossom both is uplifting and soothing and helps create the right atmosphere for accessing creative potential.
- A great mental focuser, cardamom essential oil has a warm and spicy aroma. Like other spicy oils, it is a supporter of a calm yet focused mind. It is a fairly gentle oil and is supportive of breath and clearing. It is great to use in office diffusions and for long study sessions.
Can you become ‘immune’ to your focus, creativity, productivity blends (or any other mood blend)? Should you vary the scents over time? If yes, how often should you rotate?
In general, people don’t become immune to blends. But can certainly adapt to them or change a bit in response or preference over time. Pay attention to how you feel when you are using your aroma blends. Take notice if you no longer enjoy or respond to the aroma. If you don’t like the aroma(s), don’t use them. That’s why it’s useful to experiment with different oils to find a variety of oils that work best for your own needs and goals.
In addition to using fragrance oil blends to help with focus and productivity, are there any mindfulness techniques that work in conjunction to help boost the effect?
Any type of breath practice will definitely help enhance the effects of the oils as you breathe them in. Not only does it assist in taking in the constituents, but it also helps in the ability to focus and be mindful of how you feel with the oil. Breath, meditation or prayer and essential oils all go very well together to create a very complete wellness practice.
What tips do you have for boosting energy while seated at your desk?
Essential oils that are invigorating and energizing include: Basil, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon leaf, clove, cypress, eucalyptus, fir needle, ginger, grapefruit*, jasmine, juniper berry, lemon*, lime*, orange, peppermint, spearmint and rosemary.
*NOTE: Citrus oils are photosensitizing. Caution is advised before use in the sun.
Aura Cacia’s Pep Talk Essential Solutions is a blend of essential oils. It combines cardamom, sweet orange, lemon and peppermint essential oils.
- Add this blend to any diffuser and infuse your atmosphere with zest and energy.
- Add a few drops to cotton balls and place on the floor of a shower for an aromatic and awakening morning shower.
- Create a car mist by adding Pep Talk to distilled water to keep in the car.
Distractions are never in short supply. However, we still have to find the focus and drive to wake up everyday and keep moving forward. There is a lot happening that distracts us from what we want to do and even from who we are. I think we all need a little help staying on track. If aromatherapy can help me clear my mind, boost positivity and increase energy levels –until further notice, I am going to be inhaling and deep breathing as if my life depended on it. Which, to be honest, it does.