Designer: Rebecca Minkoff
Stylist: Jeanie Syfu for TRESemmé
Inspiration: Like the collection, the runway hair was ethnic-inspired. More specifically, Rebecca was stricken by a vintage photo of Bianca Jagger in Mexico. This led to her thinking about the very strong and stylish Mexican woman, Frida Kahlo. Syfu used these inspirations to translate Kahlo’s iconic braided up-do into a modern, textured, intentionally imperfect style.
Get the Look:
- Prep damp hair with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Foaming Mousse and rough dry.
- Create a messy zig zag part from hairline to nape and clip to separate.
- From the heavier side of the part, create another zig zag section behind the ear and clip, creating three sections.
- Back brush hair for texture and fullness and create a ponytail in each section, positioned just behind the ears (two on one side, one on the other).
- Tease lengths of hair and spray lightly with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray.
- Create a four-strand braid with each ponytail and fasten with an elastic.
- Wrap braids around the top of the heard, tucking the end of the braids under and fastening with bobby pins.
- Finish with TRESemmé Fresh Start Color Care Dry Shampoo for a matte, undone look.
At Home Tips: It’s an easy, intentionally messy look, so, don’t aim for perfection. You can try it with a three-strand braid rather than four, tie it in knots, or even twist it. It’s one of those styles that looks best on second day hair. No need to use any curling irons, it’s about texture and braiding.
Fall Hair Trends: Straight, flat ironed is where the industry is going. Syfu is over beachy waves. It’s about a clean slate of hair with shine.
Manicurist: Michelle Saunders for Essie
Inspiration: What would Frida Kahlo wear on her nails today? Mexican folk art! ‘Tart Deco,’ a bright creamy coral by Essie is the “hero color” of the look, and it is embroidered with Day of the Dead-inspired skulls, flowers and dots on random nails using Essie colors ‘Licorice,’ ‘Blanc,’ and ‘Butler Please,’ a blue that was actually inspired by the color of Kahlo’s house.
Fall Nail Trends: Texture in the form of nail art, as well as a lot of matte, glitter and 3D. Nails continue to be an extension of fashion and nail art is bigger than ever.
Makeup Artist: Sarah Lucero for Stila
Inspiration: All about the beauty of nomads exploring the Mexican desert with a dash of punk rebellion. The palette? Warm Navajo neutrals. Not to mention, brows that wow!
- Stay All Day Waterproof Brow Color
- Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Deep Burgundy (Available Spring ’14)
- Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Dark Brown
- Kajal Eye Liner in Tigers Eye
- In the Know Eye Shadow Palette
- Convertible Color Lip & Cheek in Camellia
TTBTip: Be a Brow Believer –Don’t be afraid to boost your brows in a natural way. Shade and fill in where you need to using tint, stains, or pencil.