We are a few months into the new year and I know many people are looking for ways to improve their appearance. Some, like me, are hitting the gym hard. Some have already started their new diet. Others are looking for non-surgical ways to improve, not only their body, but their face as well. If you fall into that latter group, I’ve got some news for you!
A couple of months ago I was introduced to LAVIV, “the first and only FDA-approved personalized cell therapy to improve the look of smile lines.” LAVIV is highly personal because it is made from your very own skin cells and it is made just for use on you!
The science behind LAVIV. . .
As some of you may know, the skin is made up of the dermis, epidermis and the hypodermis. The dermis is roughly 10 to 40 times thicker than the epidermis and fibroblasts are the main cells found in the dermis. Fibroblast cells are responsible for the production of collagen, and as you may already know, collagen is what gives the skin its firmness and structure. However, as we age, collagen production slows, creating “an imbalance that causes the dermis to become less stretchable, less resilient, more lax, and prone to wrinkling.”
LAVIV is clinically proven to be safe and effective in improving the appearance of smile lines.
Here are the steps:
- A doctor takes a skin sample from an area of your body that is not exposed to sunlight, and is not prone to wrinkles (generally behind the ear.)
- The skin sample is sent to Fibrocell Science’s FDA-inspected manufacturing facility where it is inspected
- After inspection, the fibroblast are multiplied over a period of 90 days using standard cell growth techniques into hundreds of millions of cells, (yes, millions!)
- Once the cells have been created, the fibroblasts are inspected to ensure they are living, pure and actively producing collagen
- Cells are then cryopreserved (frozen)
- One day prior to your first treatment, fibroblast cells are thawed and prepared into a LAVIV treatment injection.
- Treatment is shipped overnight to your physician
- It is recommended that the course of LAVIV is a series of three treatments that are 3-6 weeks apart.
The proof is in the pictures!
- Each before and after 6 months of treatment -
So you see, it is all connected and on a very high level it makes perfect sense to me! If we harvest fibroblast cells and multiply them, then inject them back into areas of the skin that have lost collagen, then fibroblast cells will spark collagen production and essential reverse and/or slow down some of the problems, such as laugh lines, that become evident because of collagen loss.
This post was written by @ChristeneCarr